Date:	Fri, 28 Mar 2008 06:45:17 -0600
From:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
To:	Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>
Cc:	"Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@...el.com>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: down_spin() implementation

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:01:24AM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Uhm, how do you use this exactly? All other holders of this
> semaphore must have preempt disabled and not sleep, right? (and
> so you need a new down() that disables preempt too)

Ah, I see what you're saying.  The deadlock would be (on a single CPU
machine), task A holding the semaphore, being preempted, task B taking
a spinlock (thus non-preemptable), then calling down_spin() which will
never succeed.

That hadn't occurred to me -- I'm not used to thinking about preemption.
I considered interrupt context and saw how that would deadlock, so just
put a note in the documentation that it wasn't usable from interrupts.

So it makes little sense to add this to semaphores.  Better to introduce
a spinaphore, as you say.

> struct {
>   atomic_t cur;
>   int max;
> } ss_t;
>
> void spin_init(ss_t *ss, int max)
> {
> 	&ss->cur = ATOMIC_INIT(0);
> 	&ss->max = max;
> }
>
> void spin_take(ss_t *ss)
> {
>   preempt_disable();
>   while (unlikely(!atomic_add_unless(&ss->cur, 1, &ss->max))) {
>     while (atomic_read(&ss->cur) == ss->max)
>       cpu_relax();
>   }
> }

I think we can do better here with:

	atomic_set(max);

and

	while (unlikely(!atomic_add_unless(&ss->cur, -1, 0)))
		while (atomic_read(&ss->cur) == 0)
			cpu_relax();

It still spins on the spinaphore itself rather than on a local cacheline,
so there's room for improvement.  But it's not clear whether it'd be
worth it.

> About the same number as down_spin(). And it is much harder to
> misuse. So LOC isn't such a great argument for this kind of thing.

LOC wasn't really my argument -- I didn't want to introduce a new data
structure unnecessarily.  But the pitfalls (that I hadn't seen) of
mixing down_spin() into semaphores are just too awful.

I'll pop this patch off the stack of semaphore patches.  Thanks.

a retrograde step."