Date:	Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:30:22 +0200
From:	devzero@....de
To:	ls.luis_sousa@...oo.com.br
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: sata io freeze, 2.6.18 and also 2.6.24

did you try UP-kernel or tried booting with "nosmp" and does that make any difference ?

>This is a 2-processor CPU:
># cat /proc/cpuinfo
>processor       : 0
>vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>cpu family      : 15
>model           : 4
>model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

most likely this just "appears" as 2-way processor , but iŽm quite sure this is just a single-core CPU, but with HyperThreading enabled.

regards
roland

List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    sata io freeze, 2.6.18 and also 2.6.24
From:       Luis Sousa <ls.luis_sousa () yahoo ! com ! br>
Date:       2008-03-28 22:24:48
[Download message RAW]

Hello,

I've been having consistent hard system freezes for a
long time, every 2 days or so, and finally decided to
move to the most recent stable kernel. Unfortunatelly
that didn't fix it. The freezes seem to be io-related;
they started since I moved my drive to sata. They seem
to happen mostly when there's an io-intensive operation,
like extracting a big archive; a reboot is needed.

Nothing ever shows up in the logs.

I'm using the following drive:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       MAXTOR STM3160215AS
        Serial Number:      6RA2TMJ4
        Firmware Revision:  3.AAD

Linux localhost 2.6.24.4 #4 SMP Fri Mar 28 14:51:50 BRT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

This is a 2-processor CPU:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3013.697
cache size      : 1024 KB

(same goes for processor : 1)