Date:	Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:28:40 +0200
From:	Tilman Schmidt <tilman@...p.cc>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org,
	jgarzik@...ox.com
Subject: Re: 2.6.25-rc8-mm1: Intel SATA boot failure

Final report, seeing -mm2 is out:

- Netconsole works. (grumblestupidsusefirewallgrumble)

- The hang during boot only happens with kernels compiled with
  CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL=y
  It also doesn't always happen at the same point in the boot sequence.
  I'm suspecting it might be triggered by some network packet.
  Anyway, it's obviously *not* a SATA problem.
  (That was just me jumping to conclusions, because ...)

- That leaves only the messages

  ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
  ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

  and accompanying delays during boot, for each installed SATA disk.
  I'll try to find the time to retest this with 2.6.25-rc8-mm2.

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt                                  E-Mail: tilman@...p.cc
Wehrhausweg 66                                  Fax: +49 228 4299019

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (254 bytes)