Date:	Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:18:33 +0200
From:	Matthew <jackdachef@...il.com>
To:	"Len Brown" <lenb@...nel.org>
Cc:	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.25

>Hello Mat,
>I'm not familiar with "coretemp", can you point me to the exact version
>of the application you are running so I can see how it is getting at
>the underlying information?

>Also, do you see any change with and without kernel built with
CONFIG_THERMAL=y?

>thanks,
>-Len

Hi Len,

sure, the apps I am using for reading out the processor's temp via
coretemp are / were:
lm_sensors: version 2.10.4, 2.10.6 and (currently) 3.0.1: all report
the same (higher) temperatures (compared to 2.6.24 series)

CONFIG_THERMAL currently is enabled in the kernel:
grep CONFIG_THERMAL /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_THERMAL=y

I'll recompile the kernel now & let you know the effect in a few hours
(currently I'm working on the box)

"Dairinin" on forums.gentoo.org pointed out that the desktop-cpu
simply might not be identified correctly:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5065902.html#5065902

"Thats because new kernel (lm_sensors, etc?, etc?)incorrectly thinks
our cpu's Tj is 100C, whereas for all core 2 duo's it is 85C (100C is
for C0 stepping and above, AFAIK). Substract 15 and you'll get real
temps."

I don't know if that's the case but it sounds plausible to me

thanks everyone for your answer & help so far

Regards

Mat