Date:	Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:50:16 -0400
From:	Mark Lord <liml@....ca>
To:	Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@...mvista.com>
Cc:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] select ATA_SFF

Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:

>>> Supposed to be TF interface.  IIRC, the SFF term was first from Alan
>>> although it's entirely possible that I misunderstood it and used it
>>> in the wrong way.  Alan, can you please clear up the confusion?
>
>> The SFF/Intel spec is for PCI IDE (BMDMA or otherwise), so it covers and
>> defines all the common bits of the IDE interface on PCI (and in defining
>> the legacy interface conveniently documents the extended ST-412 interface
>> used by ATA and "pre-ATA" IDE/EIDE controllers).
>
>    If you mean SFF-8038i (which can indeed be named "SFF/Intel"), it
> documents *only* BMDMA.  If you mean something else, please be more
> precise.
..

The "Intel PCI IDE Controller Specification Revision 1.0 3/4/94" doesn't mention
bmdma at all, but does document the taskfile register addresses.
It defers to ATA-1 for actual taskfile descriptions/functionality, though.

There's nothing particularly bad about the current naming we use, though.

Cheers