Date:	Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:37:50 +0200
From:	"Gerhard Pircher" <gerhard_pircher@....net>
To:	"Oliver Pinter" <oliver.pntr@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, airlied@...il.com,
	g.liakhovetski@....de
Subject: Re: [2.6.25-rc6] possible regression: X server dying

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:40:02 +0200
> Von: "Oliver Pinter" <oliver.pntr@...il.com>
> An: "Gerhard Pircher" <gerhard_pircher@....net>
> CC: "Guennadi Liakhovetski" <g.liakhovetski@....de>, airlied@...il.com,
> linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
> Betreff: Re: [2.6.25-rc6] possible regression: X server dying

> On 4/9/08, Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@....net> wrote:
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > > Datum: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:01:26 +0200 (CEST)
> > > Von: Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@....de>
> > > An: Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>
> > > CC: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@....net>,
> > > linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
> > > Betreff: Re: [2.6.25-rc6] possible regression: X server dying

> > > Hm, so looks like I'm not seeing some ghosts on mine either.
> > > 2.6.25-rc8 xorg runs under etch, but enters a tight (no syscalls)
> > > loop woth 100% CPU load under lenny. A 2.6.24 based kernel works
> > > under both etch and lenny...
> > Strange! I guess I should recompile the kernel and test again. :(
> > I also experienced a high load under Lenny, but IIRC this showed up
> > under an older kernel (2.6.18), too (after X server is started,
> > standard installation, no additional packages).
>
> i have too this problem, the Xserver is dieing, but undependent from
> kernel version, i think it is a xserver problem
>
> Package: xserver-xorg-video-ati
> Section: x11
> Installed-Size: 880
> <>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 1:6.6.3-2
>
> under etch and 2.6.22.22 and 2.6.24.y kernel is ok
> under lenny and 2.6.22.22 or 2.6.24.y or 2.6.25, in first start the
> xserver crashed
It looks like one of these patches fixes the crash of the X server on my
machine (applied on v2.6.25 release):
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/19/244
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/19/243

Also system load seems to be lower. The only problem is that the X server
heavily crashes on shutdown (resp. when executing /etc/init.d/gdm stop)
now. Even the console gets corrupted. I attached the kernel log file that
shows the kernel oopses.

regards,

Gerhard

View attachment "xorg_crash.log" of type "text/x-log" (73431 bytes)