Date:	Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:35:52 -0700
From:	Matthew Dharm <mdharm-kernel@...-eyed-alien.net>
To:	Pekka J Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
Cc:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>, Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, dsd@...too.org,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, vegardno@....uio.no,
	James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com, linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] usb-storage: wait for device scanning before mounting root

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19:02AM +0300, Pekka J Enberg wrote:
> Hi Matthew,

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 09:30:52AM +0300, Pekka J Enberg wrote:
> > > So how does that happen? ->storage_probe fails and driver core calls it
> > > later at some point?
>
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > There's no guarantee that storage_probe is going to get called in a timely
> > manner.
>
> How can we add such a guarantee? Don't we have this problem with any other
> storage devices?

I doubt it.  It all depends on exactly when the USB controller initializes,
all relevant hubs get initialized, and the device finally discovered.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@...-eyed-alien.net

I don't have a left mouse button.  I only have one mouse and it's on my right.
					-- Customer
User Friendly, 2/13/1999