Date:	Thu, 1 May 2008 11:35:38 -0400
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
Subject: dvd writing problem

Greetings all;

I'm going to describe the problem, and let you tell me where to report it.

System is Biostart MB, XP-2800 cpu, gig of ram.

1. burn dvd image using k3b, with write verify turned on.

2. when disk is ejected at end of a successful burn, then pulled back in, a
read error is reported long before the drive has recognized the disk, the
disk is ejected again and k3b bails out of the verify phase.  This does not
occur for a cd-r.

3. manually close drive with the disc still in the tray.

4. About 40 secs later, at about the time the drive would have accepted the
disc as a valid disc, the system is frozen solidly, no drive leds on and the
clock in the corner of the screen is stopped.  I have let it sit that way for
as long as 2 minutes before tapping the hardware reset button.

5. Eject the disc while its posting and reboot, to either 2.6.24.5 or 2.6.25,
both do exactly the same actions.

6. Once system is up again, re-insert disc, wait for drive to accept it, then
do a verify by hand, disc is good, it can be mounted and read just fine.

7. disc is a +RW disc, so it should be re-writable.  Pick a different .iso and
start k3b again using it.  K3b goes through the motions, but 2 or 3 seconds
after the real write starts with perhaps 30 megabytes *supposedly* written,
k3b gets a write error and the burn bails out, ejecting the disc as it does.

8. insert disc and loop this sequence back to #3 above until tired of
rebooting cuz the box is frozen.  Once rebooted, and the disc inspected, it
is obvious the second write never touched the disc as the first write is
still there and passes the sh1sum or md5sum test correctly.

Sebastian Truex and I have been discussing this for a while now, and I have
even replaced the writer drive, a LITEON that I started with, with an HP,
even faster drive, without changing a thing above.  It is 100% repeatable.

Where do I file the bug report?  There are no interesting entries in the
messages log, no oops, nothing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)