Date:	Fri, 02 May 2008 17:24:22 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	alex14641@...oo.com
CC:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>,
	linux-raid@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Sharing disks amoung multiple software RAIDs

Alex Davis wrote:
> [...]

Depending on the use, dedicated disk may not be better, unless the
budget is large. I ran an application which had a heavily read database
and a large collection of files thich were read based on offsets read
from the database. I have a limited number of drives available
(rackspace limit, not $). I partitioned the drives with a small
partition for the heavily read database, using three copies raid1, and
raid5 for the more lightly used data, across the same disks.

I tried almost every layout possible with six drives, and spreading the
required head motion to all drives was a big win on the heavily read
database, while spreading the storage over all drives was required
because of capacity. And split and shared the performance was optimized.
And it did stay up with a drive fail, although "up" means "didn't lose
data" rather than "usefully fast."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still