Date:	Sat, 3 May 2008 21:37:07 -0400
From:	Daniel Hazelton <dhazelton@...er.net>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>, linux-next@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Strange linux-next build error

On Saturday 03 May 2008 18:40:18 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Daniel Hazelton <dhazelton@...er.net> wrote:
> > > Can you try to do a:
> > > make V=1 and post the output a few screen fulls before and until
> > > the bug triggers.
> > > They I will see if I can work out what is happening.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > 	Sam
> >
> > I've been unable to trigger it with "make V=1 bzImage" - does the
> > verbosity change, somehow, the default number of makes that get run ?
> >
> > If it does, I could try adding -j2 or similar to see if that causes it
> > to trigger.
>
> try something like:
>
>    make -j2 V=1 bzImage >log.txt 2>&1
>
> and see whether the error shows up in log.txt. Console output caused by
> the increased verbosity (especially if it's a slower console like an
> xterm) can hide build races.
>
> 	Ingo

And this appears to have been a false alarm. For the tests I did a clean pull
of the tree and started the build. When I kept *NOT* getting a build error on
the clean tree I started checking permissions and, while the files that this
error was happening for (and the containing directory) all had good
permissions, the correct ownerand all that - so I didn't look deeper. On
doing a deeper look it seems that there were some files and directories that
belonged to "root" and had 0644 for permissions.

After doing "make mrproper" and the reconfiguration I reset the owner/group on
the entire tree of files to be non-root and the build (at -j4) has finished
without a problem.

Sorry about that.

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.