Date:	Wed, 7 May 2008 11:59:59 -0600
From:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	"Zhang, Yanmin" <yanmin_zhang@...ux.intel.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Alexander Viro <viro@....linux.org.uk>,
Subject: Re: AIM7 40% regression with 2.6.26-rc1

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:55:26AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Hmm. I do agree that _cond_resched() looks a bit iffy, although in a safe
> way. It uses just
>
> 	!(preempt_count() & PREEMPT_ACTIVE)
>
> to see whether it can schedule, and it should probably use in_atomic()
> which ignores the kernel lock.
>
> But right now, that whole thing is disabled if PREEMPT is on anyway, so in
> effect (with my test patch, at least) cond_preempt() would just be a no-op
> if PREEMPT is on, even if BKL isn't preemptable.
>
> So it doesn't look buggy, but it looks like it might cause longer
> latencies than strictly necessary. And if somebody depends on
> cond_resched() to avoid some bad livelock situation, that would obviously
> not work (but that sounds like a fundamental bug anyway, I really hope
> nobody has ever written their code that way).

Funny you should mention it; locks.c uses cond_resched() assuming that
it ignores the BKL.  Not through needing to avoid livelock, but it does
presume that other higher priority tasks contending for the lock will
get a chance to take it.  You'll notice the patch I posted yesterday
drops the file_lock_lock around the call to cond_resched().

a retrograde step."