Date:	Thu, 15 May 2008 21:24:03 +0400
From:	Stas Sergeev <stsp@...et.ru>
To:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
CC:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
	Roberto Oppedisano <roberto.oppedisano@...racom.it>
Subject: Re: [Bug #10679] 2.6.26-rc1 regression:	e5e1d3cb20034a3cbcfff1f0bae12201aa2ce17e
 breaks artsd

Hello.

Theodore Tso wrote:
>> Sounds reasonable.  To where should it be added, BTW?
>> Little people seem to care about Kconfig help texts, and an extra
>> comment block (with depends on SND_PCSP) could be annoying...
> That's a good question.  A note that including including this module
> could potentially cause sound cards to be renumbered might be
> reasonable,
I guess so, and in the description
string we can probably add something
to the effect of "READ HELP!".

> enabling it as a module.  BTW, what *is* the utility of this card, and
Any utility will do.

> how do you use it?  I haven't been able to figure out how to use it do
> anything entertaining at all.  Any attempts to use it on my system
> just lead to various confusing error messages.
That's because it is a bit broken
in alsa-lib right now, more details
and the fix here:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/11/172

> Also, BTW, it might be nice to remove the following hunk of text from
> drivers/sound/Kconfig:
Yeah - that old driver never worked
with alsa anyway, so that removal is
an overdue. :)

> So I'm still rather puzzled how to make the snd-pcsp actually do
> anything useful,
It will be handled properly by default
with the next alsa-lib release. But the
trivial fix on the above URL should work
too.