Date:	Wed, 21 May 2008 16:46:22 +0300
From:	"Pekka Enberg" <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
To:	"Johannes Weiner" <hannes@...urebad.de>
Cc:	"Pavel Machek" <pavel@....cz>, "Jonathan Corbet" <corbet@....net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Tracking and crediting bug reporters

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Johannes Weiner <hannes@...urebad.de> wrote:
> I would more argue to remove Tested-by completely because it does not
> tell much.  Code is not bugfree just because someone compiled and ran
> it.  And if it breaks on some other systems later on, what does it help
> if you know someone tested it?  It still breaks.  And you can not even
> blame the tester because of his luck of a working configuration.

Tested-by is really helpful for identifying potential testers when you
change some part of the kernel. I use git history to identify people
who are able/willing to test NUMA changes to the slab allocators that
require a big ass NUMA box to trigger a bug, for example. Also, in
some cases, testing a bug fix is not trivial and might require a lot
of work that we should give credit for.