Date:	Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:22:44 +0200
From:	Michael Guntsche <mike@...loops.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.25.x: Wrong CPU frequency (cpufreq table) with p4-clockmod

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 21:36:58 -0500, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@...il.com>
wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>
>> just as a side note.. you do realize that with p4-clockmod, your cpu is
>> still running at 1.7 GHz right? (it's just doing less work '-)
>  From my testing, I believe the only thing that p4-clockmod does is
forces
> an
> idle call when it could otherwise do work on an active process, so
> fullspeed and
> idle uses *EXACTLY* the same amount of power as p4-clockmod slower speed
<snip>

Thanks for the detailed information everyone. The first time I tested this
I was under the impression that it indeed had an influence on the produced
heat of the CPU. I did a quick test this morning and of course you are
right, there is no change at all.

This is a good thing though, since it gives me an excuse to upgrade this
machine to a C2D. :)
For the time being I will just disable the cpufreq stuff since it really
does not make a difference in my case.

Kind regards,
Michael