Date:	Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:21:37 -0600
From:	"Gregory Haskins" <ghaskins@...ell.com>
To:	"Ankita Garg" <ankita@...ibm.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...e.hu>, <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	"Peter Zijlstra" <peterz@...radead.org>,
	<suresh.b.siddha@...el.com>, <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	<dhaval@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>, <vatsa@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"David Bahi" <DBahi@...ell.com>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] sched: schedtop utility v0.3

Gregory Haskins wrote:
> Hi all scheduler developers,
>   I had an itch to scratch w.r.t. watching the stats in /proc/schedstats,
> and it appears that the perl scripts referenced in
> Documentation/scheduler/sched-stats.txt do not support v14 from HEAD so I
> whipped up a little utility I call "schedtop".
>
> This utility will process statistics from /proc/schedstat such that the
> busiest stats will bubble up to the top.  It can alternately be sorted by the
> largest stat, or by name.  Stats can be included or excluded based on reg-ex
> pattern matching.
>
> You can download the tarball here:
>
> ftp://ftp.novell.com/dev/ghaskins/schedtop.tar.gz
>
> I have also posted it to the opensuse build service for generating RPMS for
> a handful of 32/64-bit x86 distros for your convenience:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ghaskins/
>
> (Note that the build is still in progress for some of the favors, so if you
> do not see the flavor you are looking for, check back in a little while)
>
> Comments/feedback/bug-fixes welcome!
>
> Regards
> -Greg

Hi All,
  I have posted an update to schedtop (v0.3) which adds /proc/<pid>/schedstats and /proc/<pid>/sched stats to the mix.

Also note that there is a comprehensive filtering mechanism built into all versions of schedtop:

"-i <REGEX>" sets the *include* pattern, and
"-x <REGEX> sets the *exclude* pattern.

By default, -i is set to allow everything, and -x is set to exclude nothing.  A common config for me is to use "-x sched_info" since those sched_info stats seem to always be moving rapidly and can cloud stats that are more interesting (to me, anyway).

Let me know if you have any questions.  Comments/feedback are welcome

-Greg