Date:	Wed, 04 Jun 2008 04:16:22 +0100
From:	Phillip Lougher <phillip@...gher.demon.co.uk>
To:	Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@...ycom.com>
CC:	squashfs-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	Linux Kernel Development <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Squashfs mainlining status?

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> 	Hi Phillip,
>
> I was wondering what's the status of mainlining squashfs?
> Is there anything I can do to help?

I am currently working on this.  A re-write and merge of the Squashfs
metadata and fragment cache code has been finished (it is in the
Squashfs CVS tree).  The original implementation had a number of
performance issues which I wanted to address before resubmission.

The major work of course is the move to a little endian layout without
any bit fields in the structures to make it easier to swap member fields
on big-endian architectures.  I'm currently working on this on a non-CVS
branch.  Most of the work till now has been without any attempt to
retain backwards compatibility with the current 3.3 little-endian
filesystem layout.   After your private email regarding retaining
backwards compatibility I will look again at this issue, it may well be
that I will abandon my current layout changes that I have so far made.

I have taken time off work to work on the necessary mainline changes
full time (unpaid unfortunately, so I need to look for another job
soon).  Hopefully this will mean I will make better progress than I have
been able to in the last couple of years.

Phillip