Date:	Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:29:35 +0400
From:	Alexey Starikovskiy <aystarik@...il.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
CC:	Alexey Starikovskiy <astarikovskiy@...e.de>,
	Justin Mattock <justinmattock@...il.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPE

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat 2008-06-07 23:28:08, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
>
>> Justin Mattock wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Andrew Morton
>>>

>>> This issue just recently started, 2.6.25-rc9 and below
>>> don't give me
>>> this message.
>>>

>> Yes, the problem which we are fighting here is that
>> almost all Acer notebooks come with
>> broken EC. It sends interrupts not regarding the fact
>> that we already ACKed it.
>> It comes unnoticed on almost all machines (some notice
>> laggy keyboard, because it's the same controller after
>> all and it's busy with sending ACPI interrupts and then
>> providing same status byte over and over), but on some
>> machines keystrokes become missing, which is not
>> tolerable (#9998).
>>

> But the acer workaround breaks other machines, right?

As I know, the first workaround broke your machine,
may be you could check if it is broken now?
> So what about
>
> a) use dmi blacklist for acers?

It is not only Acers. ASUS eeePC is known to be affected, some Apple
notebook too.
> or
>
> b) if EC storm is detected print message telling 'please pass
> ec_polled=true if you experience keyboard problems', but do nothing
> else?

There are no reports about broken machines for 2.6.26-rc5 beside #10724,
which has same broken controller, sending same amount of stray interrupts.
If there will be report from a good machine affected by this workaround
then I will
certainly go with b)

Thanks,
Alex.