Date:	Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:26:44 -0600
From:	Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@...com>
To:	Malte Cornils <malte@...nils.net>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Lenovo ThinkCentre A55: parport_pc 00:0a: disabled;  probe of 00:0a failed with error -22

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 3:52:01 pm Malte Cornils wrote:
> a friend of mine is unable to print on her system. I could trace that to
> the kernel not finding the parallel port on the system. Windows Vista,
> for whatever that's worth, prints fine.
>
> dmesg says:
> [   40.935843] parport_pc 00:0a: disabled
> [   40.935850] parport_pc: probe of 00:0a failed with error -22
>
> rmmod parport_pc ; modprobe parport_pc io=0x378 irq=none
> did not work either, the detection failed and echoing some bytes to
> the /dev/lp0 device fails, too.
>
> Booting with noapic or pci=routeirq did not help, booting with noacpi
> nolapic generated in the system grinding to a halt, which made getting
> information out of it difficult due to the remote telephone debugging.

There are some known PNPACPI problems that affect parport_pc.
You could try booting with "pnpacpi=off", which should cause
us to use PNPBIOS instead.

It would be very useful if you could build a current -mm tree
with CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG turned on and collect the dmesg log.  That
tree has the known PNPACPI problems fixed, so it *might* fix the
problem you're seeing.  And if not, the debug output might have
more clues.

Bjorn