Date:	Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:09:17 +0200
From:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 07:29:34AM -0400, Greg Louis wrote:
> On 20080622 (Sun) at 2201:18 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > If there are any kernel developers who want to add their names to this
> > statement, please let me know by private email and I will be glad to add
> > it.
> >
> > Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules
> > June 2008
> >
> > We, the undersigned Linux kernel developers...
>
> Do you think it might be a good idea to start a similar list, in the
> form of a petition to manufacturers, for end users?  The hope would be
> that the number of petitioners grow big enough to let us effectively
> rebut the argument that nobody outside the developer community really
> cares.
>
> (Of course, the best way to rebut that argument would be for end-users
> to vote with their feet, but for a lot of us, me included, that's not a
> practical option.)

The problem is exactly what you describe in your last sentence. Hardware
manufacturers are well aware of that and make no effort to provide correct
drivers when they (think they) have a monopoly in certain areas.

What would be needed would be a public list of alternative hardware for
known existing hardware. When big manufacturers will see their hardware
listed there in the "bad" column, with their small competitors on the
same line in the "good" column and with a lower price, they may start
to think a little bit. Also, small manufacturers could use this for
marketting purposes, because they would be listed as direct competitors
for other well-established products.

It should be made with notebooks too. It's a shame to see how you're
nearly forced to have an nvidia graphics card in a notebook nowadays.
It is needed to put a bad reputation to products which embed closed
hardware, and to give a good one to other ones.

If such a list is exhaustive and public, it may become a reference for
new buyers.

Willy