Date:	Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:08:08 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Alok Kataria <akataria@...are.com>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: merge conflicts with tip/master

* Alok Kataria <akataria@...are.com> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> While working with tip/master...after following the steps in the readme
> @ http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/readme.txt
>
> I usually do any changes and manage them using "quilt". Once the
> changes are pushed upstream, i do a "quilt pop" and generally try a
> "git pull" to check for any new changes, along with the change that
> was just pushed.
>
> This method works fine for me with Linus's tree. But with tip/master i
> usually get "merge conflicts"
>
> Am i doing something wrong over here...am i supposed to not use git
> pull for updating the local tip/master copy ?

i dont think this is due to Quilt interaction, but possibly due to the
fact that you should update the remote branches via "git remote update".

another possibility is that Quilt touches a file and can change its
timestamp - so Git thinks it's modified. You'll get something like:

  $  git-checkout tip-latest
  M       kernel/sched.c
  Already on branch "tip-latest"

the "M" shows that the file has been modified.

If you are absolutely sure you have a non-modified repository (sans
timestamps), you can force a checkout via:

  git-checkout -f tip-latest

the '-f' will force a checkout and any local changes will be
overwritten.

finally, if tip/master has been updated, you can 'jump' to it without
doing a pull, via:

  git-checkout tip-latest
  git-reset --hard tip/master

NOTE: this too is destructive to any local Git state and should be used
with care.

	Ingo