Date:	Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:23:48 +0100
From:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
To:	Tigran Aivazian <tigran@...azian.fsnet.co.uk>
Cc:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, jonathan@...masters.org,
	Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@...el.com>, greg@...ah.com,
	Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>
Subject: Re: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New
	World Order firmware...

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 07:44 +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:17:16 BST, Tigran Aivazian said:
> >> Hi Valdis,

> > =n'.

> >> that's because it expects the Intel-supplied microcode data and you are
> >> using the old style microcode.dat data.
> >
> > I fed it the stuff I downloaded today from this URL:
> >
> > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2643&OSFullName=Linux*〈=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go!
> >
> > which gets me a microcode-20080401.dat that does the same thing.  Is there
> > some *other* Intel-supplied microcode data I should be getting instead?
>
> Oh, sorry, I assumed that Intel distribute the data in the format that
> driver expects.

I think the kernel _does_ manage to extract just the part it wants from
the data, but it expects the data in binary form. Drop the attached
files in /lib/udev/microcode.sh and /etc/udev/rules.d/51-microcode.rules
respectively. (There's probably a better way to handle this kind of
thing by putting hooks in firmware.sh rather than using a special rule
which overrides it?)

The recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The important change
seems to have been here (in 2006):

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=a30a6a2c

--
dwmw2

Download attachment "microcode.sh" of type "application/x-shellscript" (548 bytes)

View attachment "51-microcode.rules" of type "text/plain" (159 bytes)