Date:	Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
To:	Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@...il.com>
cc:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, linux-raid@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Veliciraptor HDD 3.0gbps but UDMA/100 on PCI-e controller?

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Roger Heflin wrote:

> Justin Piszcz wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>
>>> Justin Piszcz wrote:
>>

> Well, given that pcie x1 is max 250MB/second, and a number of pcie cards are
> not native (they have a pcie to pci converter between them), "dmidecode -vvv"
> will give you more details on the actual layout of things, and given that I
> have seen several devices actually run slower by having the ability to
> oversubscribe the bandwidth that is available and seemingly actually run
> slower because of this ability, that may have some bearing,    Ie 2 slower
> disks may be faster than 2 fast disks on the pcie just because they don't
> oversubscribe the interfere. And given that if there is a pci converter that
> may lower the overall bandwidth even more, and cause the issue.   If this was
> old style ethernet I would have though collisions, but it must just come down
> to the arbitration setups not being carefully designed for high utilization,
> and high interference between devices.
>
>                               Roger

I have ordered a couple 4 port boards (that are PCI-e x4), my next plan
of action to acquire > 600MiB/s is as follows:

Current:
Mobo: 6 drives (full speed)
Silicon Image (3 cards, 2 drives each)

Future:
Mobo: 6 drives (full speed)
Silicon Image (3 cards, 1 drive each)
Four Port Card in x16 slot (the 3 remaining drives)

This should in theory allow 1000 MiB/s..

--

# dmidecode -vvv
dmidecode: invalid option -- v

Assume you mean lspci:

05:00.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller (rev 01)
         Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. Device 7132
         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
         Capabilities: [5c] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
                 Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
         Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
                 DevCap: MaxPayload 1024 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                         ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-
                 DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                         RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                         MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                 DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr+ FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
                 LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 unlimited
                         ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                 LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
                         ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                 LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
         Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
         Kernel driver in use: sata_sil24