Date:	Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:20:36 -0500
From:	Jack Steiner <steiner@....com>
To:	Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>
Cc:	Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>, cl@...ux-foundation.org,
	akpm@...l.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mingo@...e.hu,
	tglx@...utronix.de, holt@....com, andrea@...ranet.com,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [patch 12/13] GRU Driver V3 -  export is_uv_system(), zap_page_range() & follow_page()

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 02:52:00AM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2008 02:33, Jack Steiner wrote:

> > > Oh, I meant "normal" pages as in vm_normal_page(), or is there some
> > > other reason this codepath is exempt from them?
> >
> > Maybe...
> >
> > The GRU deals with cacheable memory only (the check is currently missing).
> > What is the proper way to catch a reference to a PTE that maps something
> > other than normal cacheable memory. Note that we support XPMEM. Some
> > cacheable memory that is valid for GRU references will be memory located on
> > other partitions. No page struct entries will exist nor will the physical
> > address ranges be known to the kernel. (Not in efi/e820 tables).
> >
> > One idea that I had was to use the attributes of the PTE. Is there
> > better way. vm_flags? ???
> >
> > Ideas???
>
> lockless gup checks for struct page by checking a bit in the pte.
> This should be enough to guarantee  it is cacheable memory (unless
> another driver has done something tricky like set the the page's
> cache attributes to UC or WC -- I don't know if there is a way to
> completely avoid all corner cases).

The GRU itself has no need to reference the page struct.
However, it WILL reference valid ptes that represent pages imported from
other SSIs via xpmem. These will have cacheable ptes but no page structs.

Maybe checking the pte attributes is the best way to do the check.

If we take this approach, what is a good API for the gup.c walker?
Return the pte attributes?

	int get_user_pte(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address,
	        int write, unsigned long *paddr, int *pageshift, pgprot_t *prot)

The GRU would enforce the check for cacheable access.

--- jack