Date:	Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Avi Kivity <avi@...ranet.com>
Subject: Re: [git pull] core, x86: make LIST_POISON less deadly

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

> The issue is that the kernel cannot detect it (short of running the
> KVM x86 emulator on #GP, but surely you're not suggesting that), so it
> cannot print something out.

Don't be silly. It prints out the oops message.

People who cannot see where that oops is, and cannot be bothered to look
at the register state aren't going to help _anyway_.

In fact, with the 0xdead... sequence, it's going to be *more* obvious than
with some almost-kernel 0xffffc.. address, even if it's not showing up in
the first line.

In other words, your whole argument is pure and utter sh*t. The page fault
is _less_ readable than the GP fault.

> That is why I suggested using a canonical address.

And I disagree. Violently.

The whole and ONLY point of poisoning is to get the fault.

With the canonical address, you won't get it reliably, and when you do get
it, it's not obvious to decode.

End of discussion.

			Linus