Date:	Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:06:21 +1000
From:	Shehjar Tikoo <shehjart@....unsw.edu.au>
To:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: ext4 fallocate related crash on 2.6.26

Hi all

I've observed the following kernel crash during tests against ext4
fallocate'ion support on 2.6.26.

Stack trace is at:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/~shehjart/docs/ext4_fallocate_test_trace_2.6.26.txt

The test involved running the following program which fallocates a
given length in bytes then writes to it. The above crash was seen when
writing to an ext4 disk, 2G file, in blocks of 64k with fallocate
requests of 1mb. After each 1mb of data is written to the fallocated
space, another 1mb is requested. This write-fallocate cycle continues
till the requested file size is reached. The trace is from one of the
crashes from the various runs(all crashed). I must emphasise that
after one of the runs, the test disk could not be mounted as the
filesystem was unrecognized. ext4dev was mounted in data=ordered mode.

See the test code at:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/~shehjart/docs/writefallocate.c

The command line arguments are self-explanatory. Run without any
arguments to see the usage message. Do change the _NR_fallocate define
at the beginning of the file to your architecture's syscall number for
sys_fallocate.

I can run a few more tests if more info is needed.

Shehjar
PS: I am only on linux-fsdevel. So please CC if replying from another
list.