Date:	Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
cc:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>,
	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>, arjan@...radead.org,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, dwmw2@...radead.org,
	alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,
 use it in more drivers.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Already posted a list.

No you didn't.

You posted a list of problems you have from doing odd and stupid things.
Not the reports, not the explanations of what those odd and stupid
things actually were in practice, and why they had to be that stupid.

Quite frankly, I suspect that it's all a matter of "people compiled their
own kernels, and didn't copy the new files, because they just didn't
realize they needed to".

Which we really don't even need kernel fixes fot, it just needs some
education. BUT. If we knew what the details were, we could make the need
for education even less, so that it would just work with whatever they do.

But yes, if it fundamentally boils down do "you had a script that copied
named files by hand", then that script needs fixing. But that's somethign
that somebody who compiles his own kernel (especially in an odd
environment, apparently) just needs to do.

Sometimes build updates need people to fix things. We find gcc bugs, we
require people to update. The whole "new kernels should work with old
distributions" does not mean that people building the kernels might not
have to do _something_ special.

		Linus