Date:	Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:18:25 -0400
From:	Chris Snook <csnook@...hat.com>
To:	Pádraig Brady <P@...igBrady.com>
CC:	Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@...ellique.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RAID-1 performance under 2.4 and 2.6

Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Chris Snook wrote:
>> Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>> What do you use as a benchmark for writing large sequential files or
>>> reading them, and why is it better than dd at modeling programs which
>>> read or write in a similar fashion?
>>>
>>> Media programs often do data access in just this fashion,
>>> multi-channel video capture, streaming video servers, and similar.
>>>
>> dd uses unaligned stack-allocated buffers, and defaults to block sized
>> I/O.  To call this inefficient is a gross understatement.  Modern
>> applications which care about streaming I/O performance use large,
>> aligned buffers which allow the kernel to efficiently optimize things,
>> or they use direct I/O to do it themselves, or they make use of system
>> calls like fadvise, madvise, splice, etc. that inform the kernel how
>> they intend to use the data or pass the work off to the kernel
>> completely.  dd is designed to be incredibly lightweight, so it works
>> very well on a box with a 16 MHz CPU.  It was *not* designed to take
>> advantage of the resources modern systems have available to enable
>> scalability.
>>
>> I suggest an application-oriented benchmark that resembles the
>> application you'll actually be using.
>
> I was trying to speed up an app¹ I wrote which streams parts of a large file,
> to separate files, and tested your advice above (on ext3 on 2.6.24.5-85.fc8).
>
> I tested reading blocks of 4096, both to stack and page aligned buffers,
> but there were negligible differences between the CPU usage between the
> aligned and non-aligned buffer case.
> I guess the kernel could be clever and only copy the page to userspace
> on modification in the page aligned case, but the benchmarks at least
> don't suggest this is what's happening?
>
> What difference exactly should be expected from using page aligned buffers?
>
> Note I also tested using mmap to stream the data, and there is a significant
> decrease in CPU usage in user and kernel space as expected due to the
> data not being copied from the page cache.
>
> thanks,
> Pádraig.
>
> ¹ http://www.pixelbeat.org/programs/dvd-vr/

Page alignment, by itself, doesn't do much, but it implies a couple of
things:

1) cache line alignment, which matters more with some architectures than
others

2) block alignment, which is necessary for direct I/O

You're on the right track with mmap, but you may want to use madvise()
to tune the readahead on the pagecache.

-- Chris