Date:	Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:27:53 -0700
From:	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>
To:	Tiago Assumpcao <tiago@...umpcao.org>
CC:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	pageexec@...email.hu, Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable@...nel.org
Subject: Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10

Tiago Assumpcao wrote:
> Theodore Tso wrote:
>> Look if you want this, pay $$$ to a distribution and get their
>> supported distribution.  It costs time and effort to classify bugs as
>> security related (or not), (...)
>
> That's fallacious. Assuming that you have good programmers, and you
> do, it's of very low cost the act of identifying what *is likely to
> be* a security bug.

That is based on lots and lots of assumptions that are just not true.
Ted Tso, Stephen Smalley and I are all recognized as security experts
and we can't even agree on whether sockets are objects or not, much
less what constitutes a security bug and even less what is likely to
be a security bug. Goodness, there are some of us who would argue
that since DNS is itself a security bug it is just not possible for
DNS to have a security bug, as an example.

> In most cases, they are easy to spot.

Err, no, in the kernel environment a real security flaw is likely to
be pretty subtle.