Date:	Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:11:21 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Roman Mindalev <lists@...0n.net>
Cc:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [Bug #11035] System hangs on 2.6.26-rc8

* Roman Mindalev <lists@...0n.net> wrote:

> I done bisection.
> Result below:
>
> 8f46924600e30b140445f5b84abe9b80d2fff5fb is first bad commit
> commit 8f46924600e30b140445f5b84abe9b80d2fff5fb
> Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
> Date:   Wed Jan 30 13:34:09 2008 +0100
>
>     x86: enable CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC more widely
>
>     make CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC universally available.
>
>     CONFIG_HIBERNATION and CONFIG_HUGETLBFS was disabling it, for no
>     particular reason.

as far as i can see you see a lockup under certain circumstances, right?

this debug option catches use-after-free and other types of invalid
memory accesses. When it catches a bug the kernel most likely crashes
and produces a backlog. Because you are in graphical mode that is not
visible.

This would possibly be debuggable if you set up netconsole logging to
another system on a local LAN - see
Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt.

Vegard - would it be possible to make DEBUG_PAGEALLOC faults single-shot
and non-fatal, just like kmemcheck does it? That way people would see a
nice kernel message instead of an immediate crash. That means we'd have
to find a reliable filter for DEBUG_PAGEALLOC-provoked pagefaults though

	Ingo