Date:	Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:56:51 -0500
From:	Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Kevin Winchester <kjwinchester@...il.com>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, "Fred ." <eldmannen@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Please add ZFS support (from GPL sources)

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 09:35 -0300, Kevin Winchester wrote:
> As a bonus, being highly inexperienced, I have no
> expectations of doing anything correctly, and thus would not react
> badly to lots of criticism.

That's definitely the right attitude to take.  When I ported jfs to
linux, I was completely new to Linux and open source, so tried to defer
to the experienced developers whenever possible.  Christoph was a
terrific help, offering a lot of suggestions and patches.  JFS is a much
better file system because of his help.

There have been others contributing code that have not taken criticism
so well, and what started out as an offer of help turned into emotional
arguments and personal attacks.  This really hampers getting your code
accepted into the kernel and your ability to work within the community.

> So to summarize - if anyone else would like to undertake this work,
> they probably should.  But if no one has the time/will, then I would
> be happy to give it a try.

Thanks for offering.  I don't know who else may be interested in this,
but good luck and thanks to you or whoever takes this up.

Thanks,
Shaggy
--
David Kleikamp