Date:	Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:57:23 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	David Newall <davidn@...idnewall.com>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: [TCP bug] stuck distcc connections in latest -git

* David Newall <davidn@...idnewall.com> wrote:

> > The hung condition seemed permanent (i waited a couple of minutes).
>
> Not nearly long enough.  Retransmits can be sent as infrequently as
> per 180 seconds.  I think there's an argument to use one of the the
> various patches that reduce your TCP_RTO_MAX, for example OBATA
> Noboru's (http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=118422471428855): you
> don't have to wait unreasonably long before seeing a retransmit.
> Remember, three minutes!

i know, i waited much more than 180 minutes - about 15 minutes. That is
more than enough for this LAN connection.

It's all on the LAN directly via a single gigabit switch and no packet
dropping. I noticed the hung build immediately as it happened.

> > I retried the same build 10 times and it would not reproduce - so
> > this again is a hard to reproduce condition. (and there's no chance
> > to get a proper tcpdump either, at these traffic levels)
>
> You really should start that capture, and on both client and server.
> You don't need to dump everything, only traffic to or from
> server:distcc.

It's not feasible. That box did in excess of 200 GB of network traffic
in the past 7 hours alone. ~10 clients are doing make -j200 type of
kernel builds to this 16way buildbox so it is not realistic to tcpdump
it - especially given the rarity of this problem. (it has not reoccured
since then) The network is local LAN, gigabit ethernet over a single
gigabit switch.

	Ingo