Date:	Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:54:05 +0300
From:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>
To:	"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@...hat.com>
Cc:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>,
	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...hat.com>,
	systemtap@...rceware.org
Subject: Re: systemtap & backward compatibility, was Re: [RFC] systemtap:
	begin the process of using proper kernel APIs

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:41:37PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> In the interim (before we come up with a way of moving more
> kernel-coupled systemtap code into kernel.org/git), would y'all
> consider an arrangement?  Those of you who care about systemtap, and
> are intending to make an incompatible kernel/module interface change,
> please run the systemtap testsuite before & after.  If it regresses,
> send us a note or a patch.  If practical, we'll integrate it (and add
> any backward-compatibility hacks if needed) into systemtap.

The number of incompatible kernel/module interface changes per kernel is
most likely some medium three digit number.

What you have in mind is therefore not really feasible.

But we have several levels of kernels that incorporate future stuff,
from -rc over -next to -mm, and you could implement automated runs
of the systemtap testsuite against the latest ones.

> - FChE

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.