Date:	Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:26:33 +1000
From:	Greg Ungerer <gerg@...pgear.com>
To:	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
CC:	Paul Mundt <lethal@...ux-sh.org>,
	David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>,
	linux arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux/m68k <linux-m68k@...r.kernel.org>,
	uClinux list <uclinux-dev@...inux.org>
Subject: Re: kbuild now support arch/$ARCH/include - time for ARCHs to convert

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Paul Mundt wrote:

>>> Sure it can ;-)
>>>
>>> Actually I did a bit of work to add nommu support to m68k to make it
>>> boot on old MMU-less Amigas, but it dates back to the 2.6.8.1 era...
>>>
>>> The bigger issue is in those parts that are done differently by m68k and
>>> m68knommu (esp. head.S).
>>>
>>> Who's gonna take the work? :-)
>>>
>> This sort of merging is fairly easy to do incrementally, at least by
>> someone that has both platforms available. An easy first step would be to
>
> Indeed. I have none of the currently supported m68knommu platforms,
> though.
> Don't know about Greg and m68k platforms (of course he can use ARAnyM
> ;-).

I don't have any real m68k (with MMU) hardware ;-)
I do have a v4e ColdFire with MMU, but that is not supported
by mainline m68k code. Maybe a help...

>> move the m68knommu stuff that are implemented differently over as _nommu
>> files, similar to how the _32/_64 renames happened, and then set about
>> converging the two little by little. This is what I've been doing with
>> sh64->sh integration for example, despite fundamental differences like
>> having a totally different register layout and instruction set.
>
> IC.

Probably not hugely difficult to merge together. Quite a few of the
m68knommu files came from m68k with only a little change and a lot
of removal. The board/platform stuff is obviously quite different -
very little (if any) commonality.

Just needs someone with time to sit down and do it and clean up
the resulting mess.

Regards
Greg