Date:	Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:45:27 +0200
From:	Gerald Schaefer <gerald.schaefer@...ibm.com>
To:	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>
Cc:	Yasunori Goto <y-goto@...fujitsu.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	schwidefsky@...ibm.com, heiko.carstens@...ibm.com,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Dave Hansen <haveblue@...ibm.com>,
	Andy Whitcroft <apw@...dowen.org>,
	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
Subject: memory hotplug: hot-add to ZONE_MOVABLE vs. min_free_kbytes

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 14:22 +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
> > The more memory we add to ZONE_MOVABLE, the less reserved pages will
> > remain to the other zones. In setup_per_zone_pages_min(), min_free_kbytes
> > will be redistributed to a zone where the kernel cannot make any use of
> > it, effectively reducing the available min_free_kbytes.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "available min_free_kbytes". The overall value
> for min_free_kbytes should be approximately the same whether the zone exists
> or not. However, you're right in that the distribution of minimum free pages
> changes with ZONE_MOVABLE because the zones are different sizes now. This
> affects reclaim, not memory hot-remove.

Sorry for mixing things up in this thread, the min_free_kbytes issue is
not related to memory hot-remove, but rather to hot-add and the things that
happen in setup_per_zone_pages_min(), which is called from online_pages().
It may well be that my assumptions are wrong, but I'd like to explain my
concerns again:

If we have a system with 1 GB of memory, min_free_kbytes will be calculated
to 4 MB for ZONE_NORMAL, for example. Now, if we add 3 GB of hotplug memory
to ZONE_MOVABLE, the total min_free_kbytes will still remain 4 MB but it
will be distributed differently: ZONE_NORMAL will now have only 1 MB of
MIGRATE_RESERVE memory left, while ZONE_MOVABLE will have 3 MB, e.g.

My assumption is now, that the reserved 3 MB in ZONE_MOVABLE won't be
usable by the kernel anymore, e.g. for PF_MEMALLOC, because it is in
ZONE_MOVABLE now. This is what I mean with "effectively reducing the
available min_free_kbytes". The system would now behave in the same way
as a system which only had 1 MB of min_free_kbytes, although
/proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes would still say 4 MB. After all, this tunable
can have a rather negative impact on a system, especially if it is too
low, hence my concerns.

> > This just doesn't
> > sound right. I believe that a similar situation is the reason why highmem
> > pages are skipped in the calculation and I think that we need that for
> > ZONE_MOVABLE too. Any thoughts on that problem?
> >

> is_highmem(ZONE_MOVABLE) should be returning true if the zone is really
> part of himem.

We don't have highmem on s390, I was just trying to give an example: I
noticed that there is special treatment for highmem pages in
setup_per_zone_pages_min(), and thought that we may also need to handle
ZONE_MOVABLE in a special way.

> > Setting pages_min to 0 for ZONE_MOVABLE, while not capping pages_low
> > and pages_high, could be an option. I don't have a sufficient memory
> > managment overview to tell if that has negative side effects, maybe
> > someone with a deeper insight could comment on that.
> >

> pages_min of 0 means the other values would be 0 as well. This means that
> kswapd may never be woken up to free pages within that zone and lead to
> poor utilisation of the zone as allocators fallback to other zones to
> avoid direct reclaim. I don't think that is your intention nor will it
> help memory hot-remove.

Do you mean pages_low and pages_high? In setup_per_zone_pages_min(),
those would not be set to 0, even if we set pages_min to 0. Again, a
similar strategy is being used for highmem in that function, only that
pages_min is set to a small value instead of 0 in that case. So it should
not affect kswapd but only __GFP_HIGH and PF_MEMALLOC allocations, which
won't be allocated from ZONE_MOVABLE anyway if I understood that right.

Thanks,
Gerald