Date:	Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:01:59 +0800
From:	Cliffe <cliffe@...net>
To:	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>
CC:	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>, malware-list@...ts.printk.net,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning

If we had stackable LSMs then the required functionality could simply be
built into the LSM interface. Then the anti-malware would simply stack
itself with other LSMs. In my opinion this is a perfect example for the
argument of stackable LSMs. So far we mainly have LSMs which provide an
extra access control mechanism (in addition to DAC). IMHO, Ideally DAC
could be another stackable LSM (enabled by default). Other security
schemes such as intrusion detection, firewalls/netfilter, anti-malware,
and application restrictions (sandboxes such as jails or finer grained
restrictions such as AppArmor) could all register LSMs onto the stack.

Additional infrastructure would be necessary. Permissible security
remains a item of contention. Perhaps I am naive but I think most LSMs
could work based on accept/reject. Where every LSM must accept an action
in order for it to be carried out.

MHO,

Cliffe.