Date:	Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:45:46 +0400
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...sign.ru>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
Cc:	Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@...el.com>, Gautham R Shenoy <ego@...ibm.com>,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	harbour@...nx.od.ua, rjw@...k.pl
Subject: Re: + pm-introduce-new-interfaces-schedule_work_on-and-queue_work_on.patch added to -mm tree

On 08/05, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Yes, you're right.
> > > But then should we fix disable_nonboot_cpus as well?
> > >
> > > int disable_nonboot_cpus(void)
> > > {
> > >         first_cpu = first_cpu(cpu_online_map);
> > >
> > >         for_each_online_cpu(cpu) {
> > >                 if (cpu == first_cpu)
> > >                         continue;
> > >                 error = _cpu_down(cpu, 1);
> > >         }
> > > }
> >
> > Note that disable_nonboot_cpus() does first_cpu = first_cpu() under
> > cpu_maps_update_begin(), so we can't race with cpu-hotplug.
> >
> > However, this afaics means that its name is wrong, and
> > printk("Disabling non-boot CPUs ...\n") is not right too.
> > What it does is disable_all_but_one_cpus().
>
> I thought that first cpu is defined to be boot cpu?

I don't know, but I don't really understand this low-level code.

Is it documented? This is certainly true on x86, but I don't
understand why this must be true on every arch.

Let's see. start_kernel() does smp_setup_processor_id(). Is it
guaranteed that it chooses the lowest number from cpu_possible_map?
This helper is only defined for voyager, but anyway it is not clear
why start_kernel() must be always called on CPU 0. Otherwise,
the next cpu_up() (from smp_init() or later) can add another CPU
which becomes first_cpu(cpu_online_map).

But, from disable_nonboot_cpus's pov this doesn't matter. Even if
the first cpu must be boot cpu, it can be (in general) cpu_down()'ed.
In that case, when disable_nonboot_cpus() is called,  first_cpu()
returns another value.

Once again, I don't claim this all is wrong.

> > And, it is not clear why disable_nonboot_cpus() assumes that
> > all but first_cpu(cpu_online_map) must have .hotpluggable == 1.
>
> Where does it assume that?
>
> It will fail if some CPUs can't be unplugged, and I'm afraid suspend
> can't work in such case...

Yes I see. But disable_nonboot_cpus() doesn't check .hotpluggable,
it just takes CPU down regardless of .hotpluggable, is it always OK?

Oleg.