Date:	Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:22:29 +0200
From:	"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@...il.com>
To:	"Hugh Dickins" <hugh@...itas.com>
Cc:	"Rik van Riel" <riel@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: question about do_anonymous_page()

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com> wrote:
>> Is it simply because lru_add_active() doesn't exist ?
>
> Yes.

great at least one thing I understood from the kernel mm internals ;)

> It just happens that whoever (Rik?) originally named that function was
> primarily thinking of the page cache at the time; or perhaps wasn't
> thinking of the file page cache at all, just regarding all the pages
> we put on that list as cached in some sense.

I think it might be the second reason since the page is not directly
added to the LRU
but to a pagevec structure since the term 'cache'. But IMHO if so,
it's just confusing and
lru_cache_add_active() shouldn't contain implemantation details in its name.

> You're right that it's a little anomalous, but nothing to worry about.

well, it's just that I got confusing when reading the code for the
first time. I really have hard
time to understand it...

> I get more bothered by page_cache_get(), which is and always(?) has
> been the same thing as get_page(): sometimes we use one, sometimes
> the other, and often we use page_cache_get() on anonymous pages.

Yes and this is what confused me: lru_cache_add_active() does call
page_cache_get()
for anymous pages, hence my question.

Thanks !
--