Date:	Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:36:24 +1000
From:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
To:	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>
Cc:	David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Steve French <sfrench@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Resolved merge conflicts in next-creds

Hi James, David,

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:53:40 +1000 (EST) James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org> wrote:

> We have tried this approach thus far without success, although perhaps now
> the code has been in linux-next and you've come to the same conclusion, we
> could try again.
>
> David, if you want to make a minimal API-only patch set, I'll can stage it
> and push to Linus.

The important thing (and what is different in what I have proposed) is
that what you are asking Linus to take here has zero impact (i.e. you just
add a header file that noone uses and whose contents are clearly noops)
and then it is very obvious that when people start to use it, the changes
really cannot introduce a regression.

Of course, Linus has to be convinced that the long term API change is
sensible as well.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@...b.auug.org.au