Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:47:25 +0900
From:	"Dong-Jae Kang" <baramsori72@...il.com>
To:	righi.andrea@...il.com
Cc:	"Fernando Luis Vázquez Cao"
	<fernando@....ntt.co.jp>,
	"Hirokazu Takahashi" <taka@...inux.co.jp>,
	balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com,
	"Satoshi UCHIDA" <s-uchida@...jp.nec.com>,
	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org, dm-devel@...hat.com,
	agk@...rceware.org, dave@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, ngupta@...gle.com
Subject: Re: RFC: I/O bandwidth controller

Hi,

2008/8/13 Andrea Righi <righi.andrea@...il.com>:
> Fernando Luis Vázquez Cao wrote:

>>> BTW as I said in a previous email, an interesting path to be explored
>>> IMHO could be to think in terms of IO time. So, look at the time an IO
>>> request is issued to the drive, look at the time the request is served,
>>> evaluate the difference and charge the consumed IO time to the
>>> appropriate cgroup. Then dispatch IO requests in function of the
>>> consumed IO time debts / credits, using for example a token-bucket
>>> strategy. And probably the best place to implement the IO time
>>> accounting is the elevator.
>> Please note that the seek time for a specific IO request is strongly
>> correlated with the IO requests that preceded it, which means that the
>> owner of that request is not the only one to blame if it takes too long
>> to process it. In other words, with the algorithm you propose we may end
>> up charging the wrong guy.
>
> mmh.. yes. The only scenario I can imagine where this solution is not
> fair is when there're a lot of guys always requesting the same near
> blocks and a single guy looking for a single distant block (supposing
> disk seeks are more expensive than read/write ops).
>
> In this case it would be fair to charge a huge amount only to the guy
> requesting the single distant block and distribute the cost of the seek
> to move back the head equally among the other guys. Using the algorighm
> I proposed, instead, both the single "bad" guy and the first "good" guy
> that moves back the disk head would spend a large sum of IO credits.

I have a question about your description.
In I/O controlling, how do you think about the meaning of "fair" among cgroups ?
These days I was confused about it.
IMHO, if they have a same access time and same access opportunity for
disk I/O regardless of their I/O style(sequential / random / mixed /
…), I think it is fare.
Of course, in this fair situation, the cgroups with same priority or
weight can have a different I/O bandwidth. but, I think it will be in
reasonable range.
So, if other cgroups with fast I/O was sacrificed for the cgroup with
too late I/O to equaliz the I/O quantity, it can be considered
"unfair" for the cgroup with fast I/O
Do I have something wrong about the "fair" concept?
This is just my opinion :)
I welcome and appreciate for other opinions and comments about this

PS)
Andrea, this question is not related to the io-controller
But, I just wonder your another project, network io-throttle, is going
on now? My colleague has researched the similar project and he is try
to implement another one. And i am also interested in net
io-controller. Thank you

Dong-Jae Kang