Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:13:59 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
Cc:	Milan Broz <mbroz@...hat.com>, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: 2.6.27-rc1: critical thermal shutdown on thinkpad x60

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Now, the CPU cores remains on 1.67GHz and fan is unable to cool them properly
> > under heavy load (even if I set "level disengaged" through thinkpad fan control,
> > temperature sensor shows after a while 128 C (probably not real temp,
> > I expect some critical flag => and it properly switch off the
> > system...)
>
> How do you control fans? I could not get anything but -EINVAL from IBM
> ACPI driver :-(.

thinkpad-acpi will regard 128 and -128 as invalid sensors, because that's
how they are used in some BIOSes (and ECs).  We used to bother only with
-128, but Lenovo did something wierd in one of the EC firmwares and I had to
add +128 too.  That masks the "help, I am melting" reading.

I have noted that in my TODO, let's see if I can make that into a quirk so
that you won't get -EINVAL anymore.

  Henrique Holschuh