Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:24:28 -0400
From:	"Press, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Press@...com>
To:	"Alan Cox" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	"Eric Paris" <eparis@...hat.com>
Cc:	<peterz@...radead.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	<malware-list@...ts.printk.net>, <hch@...radead.org>,
	<andi@...stfloor.org>, <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>,
	<arjan@...radead.org>
Subject: RE: [malware-list] TALPA - a threat model?  well sorta.

it.

I may be missing something about your suggestion, but I don't see how
this would work.  Who does the chmod?

Here's a sequence:

- Application opens file
- AV scanner notified in some way without blocking
- Application reads file into memory
- AV scanner determines file is infected.
- AV scanner chmod's file -- oops, too late.
- Application sends file over the wire to another machine with a more
vulnerable OS

How would this be prevented?

Jon Press