Date:	Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:59:10 +0200
From:	"Marc Villemade" <mastachand@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [Follow-up] Physical memory disappeared from /proc/meminfo

Hi everyone,

(I apologize in advance for this long email)

While looking for answers to my memory problems i've been having for
some time now, i've stumbled onto these posts:

Dated last year :
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2007/8/26/164909

and dated from a couple months ago:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/6/24/2209554

I'm having exactly the same issue but on a 2.6.20.4 vanilla kernel
(x86). /proc/meminfo shows that
MemFree+Buffers+cached+AnonPages+Slab+Mapped != MemTotal, which AFAIK
should be the case.

6_days_uptime_machine ~ # cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      3106668 kB
MemFree:        678104 kB
Buffers:        120024 kB
Cached:          69892 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         740872 kB
Inactive:      1621704 kB
HighTotal:     2227996 kB
HighFree:        21380 kB
LowTotal:       878672 kB
LowFree:        656724 kB
SwapTotal:     4192956 kB
SwapFree:      4192956 kB
Dirty:            1292 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:      586900 kB
Mapped:          13824 kB
Slab:            50432 kB
SReclaimable:    39092 kB
SUnreclaim:      11340 kB
PageTables:       1532 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:   5746288 kB
Committed_AS:  1073624 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:      8944 kB
VmallocChunk:   105568 kB

in contrast, here's the meminfo from a machine that has been rebooted
20 hours before, in which the above mentioned figures almost add up to
MemTotal. There's 50 MB missing already which makes me think the leak
starts right away after boot up...

20_hours_uptime_machine ~ # cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      3106668 kB
MemFree:       2455932 kB
Buffers:         88624 kB
Cached:          69364 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         496772 kB
Inactive:       114680 kB
HighTotal:     2227996 kB
HighFree:      1695240 kB
LowTotal:       878672 kB
LowFree:        760692 kB
SwapTotal:     4192956 kB
SwapFree:      4192956 kB
Dirty:            1016 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:      395888 kB
Mapped:          13956 kB
Slab:            23400 kB
SReclaimable:    12828 kB
SUnreclaim:      10572 kB
PageTables:       1048 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:   5746288 kB
Committed_AS:   988928 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:      8944 kB
VmallocChunk:   105568 kB

Over time, i've noticed that the LRU lists (active.inactive) just get
bigger and bigger and inactive especially never seems to get freed
which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I've tried the drop_cache
thing which helps for a while (but still doesn't make the memory
accounting get back to normal), but it is not a fix, it's only a
temporary solution. I'd like to have those machines running without us
having to drop caches once in a while.

The main brain-teaser for me here is that the machines were in use
several months ago in another setup almost identical in terms of
running processes - same kernel, same running processes, only
differences are mostly network-wise and machines have not been
reinstalled - and we didn't have this kind of issues. Now, we have to
reboot the servers every other week otherwise applications just get
refused for more memory at one point. That is inexplicable to me !
Which is why i turn to you guys ;)

Looking at meminfo, something else strikes me :  if SwapCached means
that there was once something swapped out and since it is always 0 on
my machines, how can a machine apparently going out of memory, and on
which swap is on, never swaps anything ? It seems logical to me that
one can't have more memory than the system can allocate which would
make swap space on a 32 bit machine with 4Gb of RAM useless, if it
were not for the MMU. Those machines have MMU enabled (hence the 3Gb
available even though 4 are physically installed). So i should be able
to use swap. Hence why doesn't it seem to be the case when the
machines are likely running out of memory (refusing malloc() calls).
Or maybe, i'm just totally wrong about the meaning of SwapCached ??!?

I've browsed (read grep'd) throu the changelogs from 2.6.20.4 and up
to 2.6.26.3 and saw that there was a consequent amount of memory leaks
fixed during that period, but they were mostly linked to USB ( i don't
have any USB devices on these machines although usbfs is used),
NETFILTER (which i don't use) or on other architectures than x86. i
didn't see anything strikingly matching my setup. Except maybe for
some SCSI bugs (mostly linked to firmwares).

Rob Mueller in June (second refered post) had a 2.6.25.x and he still
had the problem. Would you guys know if 2.6.26 fixes this issue ? Fred
on the first thread i posted says he doesn't have the issue with a
2.6.1 but had it with 2.6.12 and 2.6.20.x.

Here is some more info on the 7 days uptime machine. I didn't include
a dmesg cause this mail is already pretty long, and it doesn't seem to
me that there is anything worth of interest in it, but i could be
totally wrong, so please let me know if you want me to send it to you
as well. I might just copy a couple of lines which look a bit
suspicious to me :