Date:	Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:27:06 +0530
From:	Aivils Stoss <aivils@...net.lv>
To:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>
Cc:	lud <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@...-lyon.org>,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org, jkosina@...e.cz,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linuxconsole-dev@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: USB keyboards works only 4 per PC host port

On Monday 18 August 2008 8:44:32 pm Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:42:49 +0530 Aivils Stoss wrote:

> > > [adding linux-usb mailing list]
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I finally got 5 USB keyboards together along with 2 hubs.
> > > I daisy-chained the hubs and connected 1 keyboard to the hub that is
> > > on the notebook computer USB port, then I connected 4 keyboards to the
> > > second hub.  They all worked for me, meaning that I can type on all of
> > > them and have their characters show up on my console.
> > >
> > > I'm testing with 2.6.7-rc2.
> > > 'usbtree' output of the USB subsystem is attached.
> >
> > Yeah! 2.6.7 is a bit obsolete. At my end 2.6.15 support more than 4
> > keyboards per PC port , but mess up input when is plugged more than
> > 9 keyboards. 10th is capable to send keypress events, but last pressed
> > key will be repeated until ctrl-c . 10th keyboard disturb an auto repeat
> > of all keyboards.
>
> Sorry, my keyboard made a typo.  I'm testing with 2.6.27-rc2.
>
> So the problem is now different from your original report, right?

No problem is same. Older kernels have another troubles.
2.6.22-1-mepis-smp
Quite stable. Have oops sometime inside evdev. Support up to 16
USB keyboards, where 4 hubs are plugged into PC and 4 keyboards on
each hub. Any hub cascade support only 4 keyboards, where 5th or more
is registered but don't send input events. Oops inside evdev , when
USB keyboard unplugged. No slow down even all USB keyboards does
not work properly. My be this one support more than 16 keyboards, but
i don't have PC USB ports enough.

2.6.24-7
4 keyboards per port. If plug in 5th tend to total slow down with this one:
usb 2-1.1.1: reset low speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 17
5th - means 5th keyboard in USB hub's cascade, which is plugged into
single PC USB port.

2.6.26
4 keyboards per port. If plug in 5th tend to total slow down.

2.6.27-rc3
Sorry Randy i cannot repeat Your achievement. This worse of all tested
kernels. I got working 3 USB keyboards, when i plug in 4th, all keyboards,
include PS/2 stop working. Kernel does not hung up. I can reach box
via net. dmesg , /proc/bus/input/devices attached. lsusb hung up.

Please notify me , if i should use 2.6.27-rc2 !

Aivils

> What speed is the host port that the keyboards are connected to?
> Could it be a USB bus bandwidth limitation?  (not that any code
> checks for that)
>
> I barely found 5 USB keyboards, so I surely can't test 10 or more.  ;)
> I suppose that it will take some USB debug messages to attempt to see
> what is going on...
>

> ---
> ~Randy
> Linux Plumbers Conference, 17-19 September 2008, Portland, Oregon USA
> http://linuxplumbersconf.org/

View attachment "dmesg-2.6.27-rc3" of type "text/plain" (30800 bytes)

View attachment "input-devices.txt" of type "text/plain" (3425 bytes)

View attachment "lsusb_-v_2.6.22-mepis-smp" of type "text/plain" (27018 bytes)