Date:	Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:10:14 +1000
From:	Grant Coady <grant_lkml@...o.com.au>
To:	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@....uio.no>
Cc:	Grant Coady <gcoady.lk@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	neilb@...e.de, bfields@...ldses.org, linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: NFS regression?  Odd delays and lockups accessing an NFS export.

Hi Trond,

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:20:58 -0400, Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@....uio.no> wrote:

>On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 12:02 +1000, Grant Coady wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've been using NFS here for years, lately there's something odd going on
>> since about a month or so.  Previously reported last month:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/951419?page=last
>>
>> Now with 2.6.27-rc3 on one of the client boxes I get a complete stall
>> at odd times when accessing the server's exported directory, cannot
>> see a pattern to it.  Eventually recovers after a Ctrl-C.  Nothing in
>> the server or client log files.  Not easy to reproduce either.
>>
>> The server runs 2.6.26.2 at the moment.
>>
>> Server config, etc: http://bugsplatter.id.au/kernel/boxen/deltree/
>> Client config, etc: http://bugsplatter.id.au/kernel/boxen/pooh/
>
>Please try to reproduce the hang, then do
>
>	echo 0 >/proc/sys/sunrpc/rpc_debug
>
>and send the output from 'dmesg'...

dmesg and logs from client machine showed nothing, dmesg from server:

-pid- proc flgs status -client- -prog- --rqstp- -timeout -rpcwait -action- ---ops--

(nothing, nada, zilch after what looks like the header line)

Situation, first use of 'df' after reboot, client machine hung for many
seconds before the /home/common export showed up, this is not repeatable.
Mounting another export and doing 'df' again had no delays.

Client is running 2.6.27-rc3-git5 (x86_64) at the moment, configs, etc
at: http://bugsplatter.id.au/kernel/boxen/pooh64/

Server as above.  Am I supposed to have some debugging turned on in the
.configs?

Grant.