Date:	Tue, 2 Sep 2008 00:12:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:	"CHADHA,VINEET" <vineet@....edu>
To:	nickpiggin@...oo.com.au
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, vineet@....edu
Subject: TLB evaluation for Linux

Hi,

I have been working to evaluate TLB performance for Linux O/S and
virtualized workloads(such as Xen) in a Full system simulator(e.g.
simics). While my evaluation is in nascent stage, I do notice that
most of the IPIs in multi-core environments cause complete TLB
Flush.

I want to evaluate cost of TLB shootdown including re-population
vs. each entry shootdown (invlpg). While a similar study has been
done in other kernels (e.g. L4 kernel), I am not aware if it has
been done for Linux O/S.

Are there hooks or patches to test or evaluate TLB performance.
Specifically, I would like to know where to make changes in Linux
kernel to support each entry shootdown.

Questions may sound little naive, but any pointers or related work
will be helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vineet