Date:	Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:21:39 +0200
From:	"Luca Tettamanti" <kronos.it@...il.com>
To:	"Peter Zijlstra" <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mingo@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [2.6.27] early exception - lockdep related?

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@...il.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 23:06 +0200, Luca Tettamanti wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm seeing an early exception (0e) - which seems related to lockdep - at
>>> boot with many 2.6.27 kernels and I'm having troubles to track it down.
>>
>> Does it print one of these nice stack traces?
>
> Of course not ;-) It dies before dumping the stack trace (or at least
> it doesn't make to the console - that machine has a serial port, but
> my notebook does not... I've ordered a usb-to-serial adapter).
>
>>> The strange thing is that it comes and goes with different kernel
>>> versions
>>
>> What kernel version did you generate the below with - and what config.
>
> -rc2 is working, after that it's intermittent. The last kernel that I
> tried is -git from a couple of days ago.
>
>>> , but a "bad" kernel consistently fails across reboots. It also
>>> seems to be sensitive to the configuration (attached)
>>
>> you seem to have forgotten that attachment.
>
> Ops, will send as soon as I get home.

Config is attached.

I tried netconsole, but got not output. No luck with qemu either :S

QEMU from SVN reports that:
qemu: fatal: Trying to execute code outside RAM or ROM at 0x00000000000a0000

KVM goes a bit further but dies due to an exception while the kernel
is still executing in real mode.

Luca

Download attachment ".config" of type "application/octet-stream" (55238 bytes)