Date:	Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:51:22 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@...il.com>
Cc:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...nel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mingo@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [2.6.27] overlapping early reservations [was: early exception
	- lockdep related?]

* Luca Tettamanti <kronos.it@...il.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@...nel.org> wrote:
> > Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> >> Suppose it is, lets ask hpa..
> >>

> > It definitely looks like it.
>
> Is there anything that the kernel could to do confuse lilo? The issue
> started appearing with 2.6.27 and the outcome of the boot process
> varies between versions and seems sensitive to configuration changes
> (though a "bad" kernel consistently fails).

good question. Does your successful 2.6.26 bootup actually _depend_ on
the initrd? Or does it perhaps have enough built-in drivers that make it
boot just fine?

in that case v2.6.26 might just have stomped on the initrd silently,
corrupted it (during kernel decompress), and the initrd unpacker saw the
corruption and ignored it. Userspace wouldnt care as the kernel had all
the drivers it needed.

or perhaps something made your v2.6.27 bzImage larger so that the
overlap happens - while it didnt before.

> Orthogonal to my problem: the panic() in reserve_early is useless for
> debugging since the output won't reach the screen or the serial
> console (even worse: the kernel takes an exception while trying to
> execute the panic). Is it acceptable to replace it with an
> early_printk + hlt?

very much so. I was wondering about that already.

In any case it would make sense to turn that particular overlap
situation into a warning message and disable initrd decompress - and try
to boot with whatever is built-in the kernel.

	Ingo