Date:	Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:53:21 -0400
From:	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>,
	Andrew Paprocki <andrew@...iboo.com>
Subject:  Re: ACPI "Soft-off" power button only rebooting system, not powering
     off

Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> Stephen Clark wrote:
>> Pavel Machek wrote:

>>> Try noapic/nolapic/nosmp etc... and ask your vendor to fix the bios ;-).
>>>
>> Why do you say it is the BIOS when it shuts down properly from the GRUB
>> prompt or from in WINXP?
>>
> Because it's only the BIOS that can cause this behaviour.
>
> When you push the power button, the BIOS is invoked. If you release
> within 4 seconds, the BIOS sends an ACPI event to the running OS,
> telling it that the power button has been pushed.
>
> If you hold it down for 4 or more seconds, the BIOS is supposed to shut
> the machine down without the OS knowing what's happening (no ACPI
> events, just a loss of power). From your problem description, the BIOS
> is noticing *something* about the way Linux sets things up, and
> *choosing* to reboot instead of cutting the power.

Such as setting a bit to reboot instead of powering off? There are lots of bits
down in low memory which one BIOS or another use, so it may be functioning as
intended. You might look for an additional option to reboot instead of power
down, a feature I think may have been intended for systems without a hardware
RESET button.

> GRUB doesn't touch hardware without BIOS help, so is unlikely to change
> the system state in a way that tickles this BIOS bug; similarly, BIOSes
> are tested against current Windows versions by vendors, so they'll have
> hacked it around until it worked there.

This certainly may be a bug (ie. unintended behavior), but it may be a feature
which Linux is enabling unintentionally. Having to use the power button on a
Linux system would worry me more than having to press the button a second time
during reboot.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>