Date:	Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:	Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj@...stal.dyndns.org>
cc:	"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@...hat.com>,
	Martin Bligh <mbligh@...gle.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>, od@...ell.com
Subject: Re: Unified tracing buffer

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

> * Steven Rostedt (rostedt@...dmis.org) wrote:
> >
> > [ Note, It is very late for me and I probably should be finishing up
> > packing for my trip home, but I'm stupid and decided to respond now
> > instead ]

[ Note, I'm now at the airport sipping on coffee, and I had 2 hours
of horrible sleep. ]

> [...]
> the instrumentation is reached, I think it implies they have to be
> called _before_ the data is writter to the buffers. We can thus see
> SystemTAP as a very powerful filtering mechanism. SystemTAP could also
> choose to directly use the instrumentation available (kprobes,
> tracepoints, ...) when it does not need to act as a filter, but more
> like a statistic gathering module. So I think we should simply provide a
> callback filter registration mechanism in the filtering chain, thus
> having a filtering pseudo-code looking like :
>
> if (unlikely(marker_enabled))
>   if (likely(global_tracing_enabled))
>     if (likely(buffer_tracing_enabled))
>       if (likely(call_filter_chain()))
>         write to buffer
>

> > > If systemtap can only see them as a binary blob or a rendered ascii
> > > string, they would not be as useful as if the record was decomposable
> > > in kernel.  Perhaps the event-type-registration call can declare the
> > > binary struct, like a perl pack directive ... or a marker (binary)
> > > format string.
> >
> > I don't understand the above. I'm also thinking that we are
> > miscommunicating a bit here.
> >
> > Let make make an example with something that I know, ftrace.
> >
> > We hit the tracepoint in, lets say, scheduler. Previously at
> > initialization time, ftrace would have registered with this trace point
> > and would have allocated a buffer. When the tracepoint is actually hit, it
> > jumps to the function that ftrace registered. Then this function would
> > record the event into the buffer using 'record_event'. At a later time,
> > the user could read the buffer from the filesystem using either the pretty
> > print format or raw binary format.
> >
> > This code is not replacing tracepoints or markers. When you say you will
> > consume at reading, it sounds like you don't even need to use the buffer
> > mechanism and the trace points/markers is good enough for you. The
> > tracepoints and markers are not something that is being replaced. The
> > trace buffers are just something to use that we can record data to that we
> > can retrieve at a later time.
> >

> If we export the data to record through markers, we would be able to let
> SystemTAP (registered in our filter chain) look at the event types being
> passed to the buffers and thus perform clever filtering on the
> information.

> > > This sort of control is (or should be) already available for markers.
> >
> > Markers and the buffers are two separate things. Perhaps I'm just tired,
> > but I'm thinking that you are thinking we are going to remove markers and
> > trace points.
> >
> > This code is only to give the kernel a ring buffer to use. Not a way to
> > put hooks into kernel code. We have tracepoints and markers for that.
> >

> I think what Frank tries to express is that we would not lose any
> flexibility, but make life much easier for everyone, if we use the
> markers as the API to register event ids, keep their type table and to

No, absolutely not!

Sorry, I don't want to touch markers. I'm fine with tracepoints, but
there should be no need to use a damn marker if I want to use the tracer.
I shouldn't need to even touch tracepoints to use the trace buffer.
That is making things too complicated again. The tracepoints and markers
should allow you to hook into the buffers. They are separate. I can
imagine using tracepoints without needing buffers and I can see using the
buffers without using tracepoints or markers. They are separate things. Do
not bind the use of the buffers around markers.

Markers are great for you and for many others, but this is about the
tracing mechanism and one should not be forced to use markers if they want
to do a trace.

-- Steve