Date:	Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:28:16 +0100 (BST)
From:	Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com>
To:	Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>
cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>, ebiederm@...ssion.com,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.27-rc7-sha1: EIP at proc_sys_compare+0x36/0x50

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Al Viro wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 08:47:51AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > and as far as I can tell, there is nothing to say that a /proc inode
> > cannot be a negative dentry. Sure, we try to get rid of them, but during a
> > parallel lookup, we will have added the dentry with a NULL inode in the
> > other lookup.
> >
> > So assuming that you have an inode at that point seems to be utter crap.
> >
> > Now, the whole _function_ is utter crap and should probably be dropped,
> > but whatever. That's just another sysctl insanity. In the meantime,
> > something like this does look appropriate, no?
> >
> > Al, did I miss something?
>
> The real underlying bug, whatever it is.  If this sucker ever becomes
> negative, we have a big problem.  Where _could_ that happen?  Remember,
> we do not allow ->rmdir() and ->unlink() to succeed there.  So d_delete()
> callers in namei.c are out of question.  We also never do d_add() with
> NULL inode in there.  We _might_ be doing a bogus d_rehash() on a negative
> /prooc/sys/<something> dentry that had never been hashed to start with
> somewhere in generic code, but... I don't see where that could happen.
> vfs_rename_dir() with negative new_dentry would have to get it from
> something and that would have to be ->lookup().  And that sucker returns
> ERR_PTR() or a positive dentry in all cases here.  d_splice_alias() is not
> used there at all; d_move_locked() would scream bloody murder if dentry
> it's rehashing is negative.  d_materialize_unique() and d_add_unique()
> are not used.  So just WTF is creating this sucker?
>
> IOW, your patch will probably be enough to stop the visible problem, but
> I would dearly like to understand what's really causing it.  It appears to
> be a refcounting breakage somewhere and we have *another* bug report that
> smells like that - it seems like we sometimes end up with negative dentry
> on alias list of an inode (outside of /proc/sys, AFAICT).  Something really
> fishy is going on...

I got a couple of earlier instances of this on powerpc
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/14/289
but saw nothing more of it, so asked Al to forget about it.

But today I've got it again, this time on x86_64, with kdb in
(but not serial console), similar kernel builds with swapping
loads as before.  Though with Andrew's latest mmotm, so some
details different from 2.6.27-rc, and could be an mmotm bug.

The dentry in question (it's for /proc/sys/kernel/ngroups_max)
looks as if the __d_drop and d_kill of prune_one_dentry() came
in on one cpu just after __d_lookup() had found the entry on
parent's hashlist, just before it acquired dentry->d_lock.

That's plausible, isn't it, and would account for the rarity,
and would say Linus's patch is good?

Do ask me for any details you'd like out of the dentry.

Hugh